Full Time Farm Crew Member Jobs are Available at Oxbow Farm and Conservation Center in Washington State – 2021
FARM CREW MEMBER JOBS
As Farm Crew member at Oxbow Farm and Conservation Center, you work within all aspects of our farming operation, furthering Oxbow’s mission to connect people to sustainable food and build a community that will steward our natural resources conscientiously. You will cultivate our production fields, high tunnels, and research spaces and your responsibilities include propagation house work, hand weeding and hoeing, transplanting, harvesting, post-harvest handling, and field work with tractors and appropriate implements. As a member of a larger nonprofit organization occasional non-farming related duties including, but not limited to weekend work and event support may be required of you.
Vegetable Crop Production (55%)
Under the direction of the Farm and Garden Manager and Assistant Manager, you will actively take a lead role in the diverse tasks related to crop production, including but not limited to:
- Operating tractors and BCS to prepare fields for planting, manage cover cropped areas, and control weeds in field crops and fallow areas
- Cultivating vegetable crops efficiently, using appropriate hand tools
- Assisting in the setup, operation, and maintenance of Oxbow’s irrigation system
- Overseeing greenhouse and field planting projects, including construction of necessary field infrastructure to support appropriate crop growth
- Contributing to pest management efforts through row cover management and release of beneficial insects
- Oversee production systems for specific specialty crops e.g. cut flowers, salad, tomatoes, etc.
Harvest, Post-Harvest Handling, and processing (40%)
Participate in all harvest and packing days as needed, including but not limited to:
- Harvesting of produce efficiently and consistently for a variety of market needs
- Maintaining a high standard for food safety at all steps of harvest and post-harvest handling
- Working in the pack shed including receiving and processing produce
- Communicating with appropriate project leads when issues arise relating to fulfillment, harvest timing, and product inventory
General Farm Team Responsibilities (5%)
- Tracking project time and communicating with the Farm and Garden Manager, Farm and Garden Assistant Manager, or designated crew leader if forecast can’t be met
- Participate in crop plan development throughout the season
- Working and tracking in compliance with GAPS/FSMA food safety regulations
- Maintaining a smooth, timely flow with team members while working through projects
- Making sound judgment calls on product grading and time management
- Guiding occasional farm tours and assisting with public engagement within our farm’s fields
- Providing necessary supervision to seasonal crew members, volunteers, and gleaners in farm fields
- Perform other tasks as assigned in support of all Oxbow’s program and business areas, including but not limited to the production farm, conservation and restoration activities, education and general operations
- At least two year previous farming experience
- Small engine operation and experience operating tractors and implements preferred
- Competence delivering clear directions and project supervision to field crews
- Experience managing a team
- Excellent time management skills
- Consistent attention to detail
- Positive, energetic interpersonal skills and passion for mentoring new farmers
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and give/accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Clear, consistent communication skills
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather – standing, sitting, bending over, or kneeling
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
COMPENSATION FOR FARM CREW MEMBER JOBS
This is a regular, full-time position, with a competitive compensation package, including 100% employer paid healthcare, annual dental stipend, generous holiday, vacation, and sick leave. Salary range is $ 15.00-16.00, depending on qualifications.
To apply for Farm Crew Member Jobs at Oxbow, email a resume, letter of interest, and 3 references to: email@example.com
Please do not call our Telephone number, as our admin and recruitment team currently work most time remotely.
Please put Farm Crew Member in the subject line and include where you found this position in the message body.
Apply by Sunday May 30th for first consideration. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis after this date until position is filled.